Can url’s collide?
Jacquelyn Tran launched her website in 1999, she never anticipated how much her choice of url (domain name) would cost her. To date the Huntington Beach based company has spent 100 of thousands of dollars against Ebay in there legal war. Perfumebay against ebay, the sad part is ebay makes 4 billion apposed to this small town business. Butdispite the size this company is not giving up fighting ebay with whatever they can. Ebay has a trademark which has put other companies out of business like autobay and rentbay. The 3 judge panel all agreed that perfumebay needs to be changed. Tran says she will appeal and asked for a emergency stay of the injunction to keep running her site. A typical trademark case cost about 1 million dollars. Tran recommends checking with us patents before choosing a name to save the time and money she has had to invest in this losing battle. Registering the domain name doesn’t mean your safe even with one letter off from a trade marked name can cause URL’s to collide.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
Charles has been working as a webmaster since 1998. Since then, he has had his hands in thousands of websites and has helped millions get online through a company he partially owns called Web Host Pro.